We continue our reading through Heaven Taken by Storm by discussing chapters 2 and 3. Below are links to the chapter outlines, questions for reflection, and links to our reading plan and chapter one’s discussion.
Chapter Two Outline
- Mortification of Sin
- Provocation to Duty
Chapter Three Outline
- Each paragraph in this chapter is essentially its own attempt to give us “a right notion of Scripture” so that our desire would be to read it diligently.
- Read the Word as…
- a book made by God Himself.
- a perfect rule of faith.
- a soul-enriching treasury.
- a book of evidences.
- a spiritual magazine out of which you fetch all your weapons to fight against sin and Satan.
- a spiritual glass to dress yourself by.
- a book of spiritual recipes.
- a sovereign elixir to comfort you in distress.
- the last will and testament of Christ.
- a book by which you must be judged.
Questions for Reflection
- What reasons does Watson give for mortifying sin?
- Do you agree that prayer is the best means of battling sin?
- In what ways do you find your heart sluggish to the things of God?
- Which of Watson’s descriptions of God’s Word stood out most to you? Why?
- How might you become more diligent in reading the Word?