We are continuing to read through Heaven Taken by Storm together.
You can find our reading plan and links to previous posts here.
Chapter Seven Outline
- Defining Self-Examination
- We must do so by the Word of God.
- Why Self-Examination Is Difficult
- It is a work of self-reflection.
- Self-love makes it difficult.
- Why We Are Hesitant to Examine Ourselves
- Consciousness of guilt
- Foolish, presumptuous hopes
- Resting in good opinions of others
- Unbelief in Scripture
- Matters for Consideration
- Without self-examination we are ignorant of ourselves.
- God will, nevertheless, examine us.
- Our secret corruption can only be found this way.
- It is a great advantage in every way.
- Turn to God for Help
Questions for Reflection
- Have you practiced self-reflection as a spiritual discipline in the past? If so, how has Watson changed how you view the practice?
- Why is rooting our self-examination in the Word of God so important?
- What are some practical steps that you might take for practicing self-examination going forward?